Saturday, February 2, 2008

Saying Good-Bye

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The funeral of the prophet Gordon B. Hinckley was held today. It has been almost a week since his passing, causing much reflection on my part. He was the prophet through many of my teen years and has been the prophet during the early years of my marriage and motherhood. My life has changed much in that time, but my love and affection for this wonderful man has only grown.

So today, as many of my faith have done, my family and I tuned in to watch the funeral services. My eyes filled with tears as his coffin was rolled into the conference center. My son, noticing my somber mood, went to me and asked, "Mama, why are you sad?" Why am I sad? I am sad because this dear man will never walk into conference again, waving his cane at the crowd. I am sad because I will miss his quick wit and optimism. I am sad because I will miss him.

During the week I spent some time reading various articles regarding Gordon B. Hinckley. In one brief article it was noted that the Rexburg Idaho temple dedication was postponed by one week. And then the thought entered my mind: The Lord's work continues. How marvelous!

I am grateful that the Lord chose Gordon B. Hinckley to serve as prophet for so many years. I am grateful that I, along with so many others, was able to feel of his spirit, enjoy his humor, and be taught by him. And I am grateful to be a part of the Lord's work which, I know, will continue to fill the earth.

No comments: