Sunday, November 22, 2009

Dinosaurs, Dragons, and Thumbelina's--Oh My!

More than a month has passed since Halloween, but better late than never! Halloween festivities were a little crazy given the changes in our home. We tried to make sure the kids had their usual favorite activity: pumpkin carving.

Unfortunately we could not find our camera, so we resorted to using Mark's cell camera for pictures. The best shot we got of the three oldest digging into their pumpkins is blurry, but I'll post it anyway. At first we were going to carve on the kitchen table, but then Mark suggested we carve in the foyer so Sean could get in on the action. Sean had a great time. Even Brandon sat nearby for a little while.

I was the designated "pumpkin artist", drawing the pumpkin faces according to specifications. Ira's pumpkin was to have "evil eyes" and "vampire teeth". Emma wanted "pretty eyes" and a "happy mouth with teeth". I kind of winged it when it came to my niece's pumpkin since she doesn't talk much yet.





Ira was able to wear his Halloween costume to school for a Halloween parade. I also sprayed his hair green and spiked it. He LOVED the green hair (don't go getting any crazy ideas, my son!). I put him in a green shirt under his costume, and I think he loved the fact that his hair matched his shirt. Fun times!


As far as costumes go, Ira was a dinosaur. Emma and my niece were Thumbelina. Sean was a dragon. I went far and wide to get Ira's costume. We actually lucked out when I found it in Mission Viejo on our little vacation the beginning of October. It had sold out online and in the local stores (Children's Place). I had all but given up hope of finding it.

For Halloween, we attended the annual "Trunk or Treat" at the church building. If you are not familiar with "trunk or treat" it is when you walk from car trunk to car trunk collecting treats from those with their trunk open. Some trunks are even decked out Halloween style. I usually decorate our trunk, but not this year. Mark had to work so it was a little crazy. The kids got a boat load of candy and everyone was happy. Even my niece warmed up to the idea when she realized people were giving her candy. Ira and Emma really enjoyed the "reading tent". Inside a man was reading children Halloween stories. I think they could have stayed there all night listening!


1 comment:

Elder Esplin said...

HOW CUTE...All of it! My favorite goes to Ira's awesome hair!