Friday, April 6, 2007

Bath Time

There is something about bath time at my house--it's hard to explain. It always seems like the kids are thrilled with the announcement of bath time, but by the time their bath is over one or the other or both are crying and mommy is red-faced and unhappy. But all the unhappiness of the day before seems to be forgotten the next day when bath time is announced again.

Because of the problems I've experienced with having a 3 year old and a 9 month old bathing together and being civil, I have been giving each their own bath after dinner. My daughter always needs one because she is in the "I can eat by myself--even if half of dinner lands in my lap" stage and my son spends most of his time outside digging with tractors so he always needs one as well.

Following dinner last night I announce it is bath time. My son asks, "C going to take a bath with me? You want to take a bath with me little girl?" How could I deny his petition? I decided to be brave and attempt to bathe them at the same time.

At the mention of bath my little girl begins pumping her arms and legs in anticipation--bouncing like a little jumping bean. When we get to the end of the hallway I leave C at the doorway to the bathroom. B races ahead of me because he wants to "start" the bath. No sooner had I helped him turn on the water when, to my amazement, I see my daughter climbing to her knees next to the bathtub. C began crawling a few weeks ago, but never has she moved so fast! She definitely didn't want to be left out of the fun.

And bath time was different this time. No one was crying at the end; we truly had a good time. Perhaps this is why my children are so thrilled with the announcement of bath time--we really can have a good time with one another. I just needed to be reminded of how much fun.

No comments: